- Niger Delta conflict started when youth went to Abuja and saw bridges on land – Edwin ClarkPosted 4 hours ago
- 2015 elections potential lose-lose situation for Nigeria – BakarePosted 4 hours ago
- Bad network may have caused death of OAU studentPosted 5 hours ago
- ‘You’re hallucinating if you think PDP will win Rivers gubernatorial’ – Amaechi tells JonathanPosted 5 hours ago
- APC accuses PDP of deliberately trying to create IslamophobiaPosted 5 hours ago
- Boko Haram: Defence Minister to engage CIA, Mi5, others to fight ‘Dirty War’Posted 1 day ago
- Panic as President Jonathan evacuated from Jet after it develops technical faultPosted 1 day ago
- Governor Obi leaves Anambra state with N75 billion in coffersPosted 1 day ago
- Governor Chime escapes assassination as cultists try to invade Government HousePosted 1 day ago
- 2015: Governor Aliyu reassures Jonathan of victoryPosted 1 day ago
Popular Preacher’s Son Commits Suicide
The youngest son of prominent US evangelical preacher Rick Warren has died after a long struggle with mental illness, the pastor’s church says.
Matthew Warren, 27, committed suicide on Friday following years of battling depression, a statement from the Saddleback Valley Community Church said.
The statement paid tribute to Matthew Warren as “an incredibly kind, gentle and compassionate young man whose sweet spirit was encouragement and comfort to many”.
Warren, the author of the multimillion-selling book “The Purpose Driven Life,” said in an email to church staff that he and his wife had enjoyed a fun Friday evening with their son before Matthew Warren returned home to take his life in “a momentary wave of despair.”
“Only those closest knew that he struggled from birth with mental illness, dark holes of depression, and even suicidal thoughts,” Warren wrote.
“In spite of America’s best doctors, meds, counsellors and prayers for healing, the torture of mental illness never subsided.”