- ‘We didn’t shun Security Strategy meeting’ – APC GovernorsPosted 2 hours ago
- ‘Stop linking me with Boko Haram’ – Buhari tells PDPPosted 2 hours ago
- Woman accuses Police DPO of sexual assaultPosted 2 hours ago
- APC Governors shun President Jonathan’s security strategy meetingPosted 16 hours ago
- Funsho Williams was strangled to deathPosted 21 hours ago
- FG orders Electricity Firms to stop arbitrary billing of consumersPosted 21 hours ago
- Akwa Ibom man on the run after beheading two relativesPosted 21 hours ago
- Generals greed hampering war against Northern insurgency – SoldiersPosted 21 hours ago
- Northern Insecurity: Jonathan summons Governors, National Security CouncilPosted 2 days ago
- Kwankwaso likens Presidency to a committee of vulturesPosted 2 days ago
Popular Preacher’s Son Commits Suicide
The youngest son of prominent US evangelical preacher Rick Warren has died after a long struggle with mental illness, the pastor’s church says.
Matthew Warren, 27, committed suicide on Friday following years of battling depression, a statement from the Saddleback Valley Community Church said.
The statement paid tribute to Matthew Warren as “an incredibly kind, gentle and compassionate young man whose sweet spirit was encouragement and comfort to many”.
Warren, the author of the multimillion-selling book “The Purpose Driven Life,” said in an email to church staff that he and his wife had enjoyed a fun Friday evening with their son before Matthew Warren returned home to take his life in “a momentary wave of despair.”
“Only those closest knew that he struggled from birth with mental illness, dark holes of depression, and even suicidal thoughts,” Warren wrote.
“In spite of America’s best doctors, meds, counsellors and prayers for healing, the torture of mental illness never subsided.”