- Boko Haram: Defence Minister to engage CIA, Mi5, others to fight ‘Dirty War’Posted 12 hours ago
- Panic as President Jonathan evacuated from Jet after it develops technical faultPosted 13 hours ago
- Governor Obi leaves Anambra state with N75 billion in coffersPosted 14 hours ago
- Governor Chime escapes assassination as cultists try to invade Government HousePosted 14 hours ago
- 2015: Governor Aliyu reassures Jonathan of victoryPosted 15 hours ago
- 239 people feared dead as Malaysian plane vanishesPosted 2 days ago
- Centenary Award: ‘We are not saying Abacha was a saint’ – PresidencyPosted 2 days ago
- Obesere Rape Allegation: Victim’s friend says “It is a set up”Posted 2 days ago
- CONFAB an opportunity to right social inequality in Nigeria – BakarePosted 2 days ago
- “A New Nigeria of our dreams” – Read Fashola’s full speech at APC summitPosted 2 days ago
Malaysian Court Sentences Nigerian to Ten Strokes of Cane for Drug Pushing
A Malaysian High Court has sentenced a 27-year-old Nigerian who was caught at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) with about 389.8gm of methamphetamine in his stomach to 18 years imprisonment.
The accused, Francis Ikenna Nwannochie was also ordered to be given 10 strokes of the cane by the presiding judge, Justice Datuk Abdul Alim Abdullah after he pleaded guilty to drug possession.
During the court hearing, Justice Abdullah told the accused that he was lucky to get away with an alternative charge of drug possession instead of the initial drug trafficking charge that carried the death sentence upon conviction.
It was gathered that Nwannochie was detained on Feb 29, 2012 when Custom authorities noticed him walking in a suspicious manner.
However, on March 1, 2012, he was taken to a hospital in Malaysia where an X-ray showed the presence of a foreign lump inside his stomach. The lump was later found to consist of 54 capsules of methamphetamine.